"Pick yourself up and get back in the game, That's life!" - Frank Sinatra.
Empty nest syndrome is a phrase first coined in the 1970s. We all know the feelings it throws up. A sense of mourning, a sense of loss. But what about a sense of achievement, a feeling that you've done what you needed to do, sent your child off into the world to have their time?
Researchers have in fact found that empty nest women were less, not more, depressed once their children had flown away. But there is no denying that most mothers must deal with an identity shift.
We want to turn the blight into a blessing. The emptiness into opportunity. Because it's a time for women to reinvent themselves; to work out who they are and what they want to do with the spare time empty nest inevitably brings.
We love to work with women who want to invest in themselves so that they feel great again. But we get that a midlife style change, when you're feeling a little down, might not feel like a great idea. We can help you. Yes, feeling great about the new you will take work but it'll be worth it.
Here's some advice from Distinctively Me Founder Jill White on how to reinvent yourself:
1. Wear what you love. You want to put on that pair of trouser, that jacket and think "Yes, I love this. I feel great." You might be feeling a little low but it's amazing what a perfectly fitted pair of trousers can do to your confidence.
2. Wear what looks good and stick to it. Find a style and fit you know looks great and stick to it. For some that'll be a killer pair of kick-flares, for others it'll be a silhouette-enhancing pencil skirt.
3. Buy less, choose well. Think quality over quantity. Remember it's time to invest in you. Buy pieces that will last longer and look great time and again.
4. Stick to the classics. Invest is key pieces that complement your shape. Trends come and go. Style is timeless.
5. Seek out the perfect fit. If you want to feel great, you want pieces that will flatter you in all the right places. Consider treating yourself to made to measure. It's time to feel special.
Change can signal reinvention and a whole new look for a woman. So make room in your wardrobe for new clothes, new energy and a whole new you!